Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. provides engineered product solutions for Upstream, Midstream, and Downstream Oil & Gas. With regards to Upstream solutions, we design and manufacture offshore production drilling risers, spools, adapters, seal housings, and connectors, along with offshore handling and support structures for projects ranging from simple jack-up rigs to some of the largest gravity based rigs on earth. We work with drill ship manufactures to design and install cutting edge thruster can seals. Also supporting production and exploration offshore drilling are our Subsea Products, diver- and ROV- install underwater isolation and test products, clamps, connectors, and work assist tools. Our General Isolation and Test Tool Product Lines Support both Mid- and Downstream oil & gas, providing safe vapor and hydrocarbon isolation pressure barriers and test solutions for transport pipelines, storage containers, and refinery maintenance and upkeep. We also design and manufacture work assist tools (i.e. – lifting tools and pipe pulling tools) that are used both offshore and onshore as well as packing and filling solutions (i.e. – rail car seal housings) for rapid, environmentally safe fluid transport operations.
Our experience in the Oil & Gas Industry has grown by leaps and bounds over the last several decades. We started out as a custom sealing solutions company, rapidly gaining a reputation as a provider of some of the finest, most reliable products on the market. Through cutting-edge engineering analysis tools, in-shop testing and validation, and by utilizing our innovative creative spark to think outside the box, we continue to learn and succeed with our large client base. Through these foundations and our commitment to continuing improvement and optimization, we are now able to offer many general solutions, some of which are industry standards.
Whether you are leak testing a pipeline, verifying a flange weld, performing hot work where our tool is the only barrier between success and an explosion, fixing a pipeline leak before it becomes an environmental hazard, or simply connecting two pipes in the field, we have a product for you. Call us now to speak directly with one of our experienced Oil & Gas Product Engineers!
Contact us today to discuss our rates or to book an appointment with one of our engineers.
We are designers and manufacturers of standard and highly customized drill through equipment, offshore lifting equipment, offshore structural equipment, well decommissioning tools, and well control equipment. Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. has several third party certified API® 6A/16A & API 64 drilling packages and components for offshore oil & gas, including designs for sour gas and ultra-low temperature operation. Our designs can cover most marine and offshore pressure code and structural codes upon demand. We utilize our SEALFAST® brand Elastomers, which are shop tested and field proven in the most demanding applications over the last few decades. Need a solution fast? Give us a call! We specialize in quick turnaround, custom design.
Some Equipment Types we Manufacture:
• Drilling Risers
• Telescoping Risers
• Overshot Mandrels
• General Adaptor Spools and Flanges
• Telescoping and Swivel Flow Lines
• Diverter Support and Storage Frames
• Drilling Riser Centralizers
• Handling Clamps
• Conductor Cement Verification Tools and Hang-off Plates
• Pneumatic, Hydraulic, and Haz-Loc Electrical Control Panels
• Offshore Hose and Cable Management Reels
• Hydraulic Lifting and Running Tools
In addition to the many drilling, adapting, reducing, telescoping, and overshot mandrels and spools that we manufacture, we also specialize in full pressure and restraining connectors as well as non-restraining seal housings. We fabricate seal housings and connectors for the rugged offshore industry, in flanged-mount, weld-on, and locking dog versions that restrain to plain end pipe. Our housings can be provided with single or multiple SEALFAST® Inflatable or Mechanical Seals depending upon application and pressure requirements. MRD housings are available to meet API® 6A/16A drill through requirements, API® 64 well control , NACE® MR0-175 sour gas standards, and many more pressure fitting, piping, and vessel codes. We have seal housings that have been in-use offshore for decades and we specialize in corrosion resistant materials and coatings.
Some common offshore connectors and seal housings we manufacture:
• Bell Nipple Overshot Seal Housing
• Conductor Slip Joint and Unions
• Riser Telescoping Joints and Seal Housings
• Riser and Mandrel Connectors
• Mechanical Dresser Seal Housings and Packers
• Spherical and Swivel Connectors and Packers
• Inflatable and Mechanical Reducer Housings
• Riser Overshot Seal Housings
At Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. many of our products were developed to support refinery, pressure vessel, and transport pipeline test and repair, in many cases, for emergency use. We have developed countless pressure isolation, hotwork/vapor protection barrier, leak control, and pressure test tools throughout the years, refining and optimizing them with each new application. We have solutions that can cover nearly every issue encountered in hydrocarbon processing, refining, storage, and transportation (including pipeline, rail car, and ship). Our clients keep coming back because we build tools that withstand the severe environmental impacts in the industry. We supply easily serviceable tools that are flexible and adjustable for many applications. One of the biggest benefits of MRD tools is that they are easy to train to, allowing our customers to maintain safe working environments. If you are interested in any of our product lines, please call us today — including rental availabilities for some sizes and pressure ranges.
Common SEALFAST® Refinery and Pipeline Tools:
• Vapor Block Isolation and Hydrotest Pipe Plugs
• Valve and Leak Repair Tools
• Emergency Intervention and Hot Tap Tools
• Pipe Weld Joint Testers
• Double Block and Bleed Tools (Pipeline Isolation and Joint Test Combination Tools)
• Articulated / Flexible Joint Testers and Isolation Tools (For work around elbows, past tees, etc.)
• Remote Installation Isolation and Test Products
• Large Isolation and Bulkheads (Containment or General Pressure Barriers)
Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. has been providing Diver and ROV -Installed Solutions for subsea isolation, work assist, and pressure test tools for over 20 years. We work with Marine Constructors, Offshore Diving Technicians, and ROV operators to make lightweight, flexible tools focusing on the ease of installation and reliability in these challenging environments. Our specialty is working with corrosion resistant materials, coatings, and anodic protection for long tool life, as well as buoyancy and orientation controls built directly into our products. We have designed and fabricated products in nearly any shape, size, and for pressures exceeding 5000 psi at our full scale production shop near Manitowoc, Wisconsin. We are well known for our onsite testing facility, including underwater tanks for diver, ROV, pressure, and flow simulations. As with our other product lines, Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. leads the industry in product validation.
Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. Subsea ROV Tools:
• ROV-Installation General Isolation Plugs and Barriers
• Sea Chest Repair Isolation and Repair Plugs
• Subsea Pipeline ROV Plugs, Isolation, and Test Tools
• ROV-Installation Clamps and Connectors
• Subsea Pipeline Abandonment and De-Commissioning Plugs
The SEALFAST® Difference. Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. is a different kind of Oil & Gas Tools company. When you call us with a sales or technical inquiry, you speak directly to one of our project engineers, who take application details and walk you through the many solutions we have developed throughout the years. We have field proven, optimized standard solutions and we are the experts at rapid customization, relying upon our state-of-the-art test facility, The Lab, where products undergo testing and validation before they reach your worksite. Our experienced shop technicians are known throughout the industry as hydraulic, pneumatic, and electronics experts and are supported by a full scale manufacturing production facility, with our own in-house elastomers vulcanization & molding department. If you need the right solution the first time, look no further and call us today!
Other Oil & Gas Tools:
• Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. manufactures and installs Drill Ship Thruster Can Seals and Other Oilfield Seals and Packers.
• Interested in our SEALFAST® Elastomers, Inflatable and Mechanical Seals? Click here.
• We also design and manufacture Offshore Lifting Tools and Pipe Pullers.
• Interested in Work Assist Tools, Including Lifting and Pulling Products? Click here.
• For Control Panels, Utilities, Turnkey Test and Operational Systems, please see our Controls and Accessories page.