Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. provides engineering services; isolation, pressure test, and work assist tools; sealing solutions; and a wide range of imaginative custom products with potential for use in nearly every industry. You can find our tools utilized prominently in Energy Production and Transport, Infrastructure Construction and Repair, Industrial Manufacturing and Automation, Underwater Construction, Environmental and Safety, and a host of other diverse industries. Check out our expansive product offerings, including: simple hand operated tools, life-preserving tools, cannot-fail-once products, complex application specific structures, and long-lasting elastomer seals. We have the highly engineered solutions to meet all of your needs.
Mechanical Research and Design, Inc. designs and fabricates a large number of isolation, test, structural, and environmental sealing tools for Oil & Gas production, drilling, refining, storage and transport.
MECHANICAL RESEARCH & DESIGN, INC. OFFERS A WIDE RANGE OF PRESSURE PIPING SYSTEMS AND STRUCTURAL SUPPORT SYSTEMS FOR OFFSHORE OIL AND GAS.
• DRILLING RISERS AND MANDRELS
• DRILLING CENTRALIZERS
• DIVERTER STORAGE AND SUPPORT STRUCTURES
• CONDUCTOR SUPPORT AND CEMENT VERIFICATION SYSTEMS
• DIVERTER OVERSHOT SPOOLS
• WELL DECOMMISSIONING TOOLS
• OFFSHORE CONTROLS PACKAGES
FLUID AND MUD CONVEYANCE IS OF GREAT IMPORTANCE BOTH FOR ENVIRONMENTAL AND EFFICIENCY CONCERNS IN DRILLING OPERATIONS. WE MANUFACTURE STATIC AND DYNAMIC SEAL HOUSINGS AND CONNECTORS FOR LIMITLESS APPLICATIONS.
• BELL NIPPLE SEAL HOUSINGS
• MUD CONTAINMENT SEAL HOUSINGS
• DIVERTER AND RISER OVERSHOT HOUSINGS
• SLIP JOINTS AND CONDUCTOR UNIONS
• SPHERICAL PACKERS
• ADJUSTABLE TRANSPORT PIPE SYSTEMS AND CONNECTORS
• OIL & GAS SEAL HOUSINGS AND CONNECTORS
IN ONE OF OUR MOST EXTENSIVELY ENGAGED INDUSTRIES, WE PROVIDE ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS FOR VESSELS AND PIPELINES OF EVERY CONFIGURATION.
• DOUBLE BLOCK AND BLEED TOOLING FOR PIPELINE AND FLANGE REPAIRS
• PIPELINE PLUGS OF MANY STYLES
• WELD JOINT TEST TOOLS
• FLANGE TESTERS AND FLANGE ADAPTORS
• GENERAL SEAL HOUSINGS AND CONNECTORS
Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. works with nuclear power plants, research facilities, and de-commissioning sites to develop reliable isolation, pressure test, storage, and handling tools to effectively mitigate radiological hazards to workers and the site. We do our best work under pressure, literally. We understand plant outages and downtime are extremely critical in this field and build many rapid turnaround solutions.
WE EXCEL IN FAST LEAD-TIME STANDARD AND CUSTOM SOLUTIONS FOR ISOLATION, TESTING, AND LEAK REPAIR FOR NUCLEAR COMPONENT MAINTENANCE AND NEW BUILD PROJECTS.
• STEAM LINE REACTOR MAINTENANCE PLUGS
• HOT LEG PLUGS, COLD LEG PLUGS
• HATCH REPLACEMENT PLUGS FOR FUEL POOLS
• PROCESS PIPELINE PLUGS & JOINT TESTERS
• INTAKE VALVE REPLACEMENT PLUGS
• EMERGENCY LEAK REPAIR AND LINE INTERVENTION TOOLS
• NUCLEAR TOOLS
WE SERVICE NUCLEAR PLANTS WITH EFFECTIVE OUTAGE SOLUTIONS. OUR TEMPORARY DOOR AND HATCHES SAVE MONEY AND DAYS DURING STANDARD OUTAGES AND ALSO COME WITH OPTIONAL RAMPS, SECONDARY DOORS, PIPE PENETRATIONS, AND LIFTING/ERECTION ACCESSORIES TO LOCK DOWN QUICKLY IN THE EVENT OF REACTOR BOIL-OFF.
• OUTAGE EQUIPMENT HATCHES
• GENERAL DOORS AND CONTAINMENT HATCHES
• NUCLEAR TOOLS
MRD fabricates both large and small tools to support general dam infrastructure construction and repair activities, ranging from general isolation and test tools to underwater construction support products. Our tools are trusted by dam operators, government organizations, underwater construction diving specialists, and ROV operators all around the world. Ranging from simple to complex projects, use our vast experience to solve your hydro-power problems the first time, every time.
WE ARE THE EXPERTS IN NEUTRALLY BUOYANT ROV AND DIVER INSTALLED PENSTOCK ISOLATION AND REPAIR TOOLS.
• BIFURCATON ISOLATION BULKHEADS
• PENSTOCK TAPER PLUGS
• GENERAL VALVE MAINTENANCE PLUGS AND BULKHEADS
• DIVER AND ROV INSTALLED ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS
MECHANICAL RESEARCH & DESIGN, INC. DESIGNS AND FABRICATES A HOST OF DAM SUPPORT AND MAINTENANCE TOOLS FOR BOTH GENERAL AND UNDERWATER CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES.
• COFFER DAMS
• INLET PLUGS AND ISOLATION BULKHEADS
• GROUTING PLUGS
• ANNULAR SEALS FOR LEAK REPAIR
• PIPELINE JOINT TESTERS
• DIVER AND ROV INSTALLED ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS
MRD supports many areas of the construction industry, primarily around general waterworks and wastewater applications. Our engineers work with construction contractors and city engineers to design the right product for each application. Our products are field tested and reliable, performing flawlessly in single and double barrier isolation projects around the world. Our products can be found in such construction projects including:
• MUNICIPAL & WATERWORKS CONSTRUCTION
• WASTEWATER TREATMENT PLANT CONSTRUCTION AND RE-FURBISHMENT
• TUNNELING, SHAFT, AND CHANNEL CONSTRUCTION
WE PROVIDE A WIDE VARIETY OF STANDARD AND CUSTOM PIPELINE ISOLATION AND TEST PRODUCTS, DESIGNED FOR USE IN ANY PIPING SYSTEM!
• PIPELINE TEST PLUGS
• PIPELINE ISOLATION BARRIERS AND PLUGS
• PIPELINE JOINT TESTERS
• DOUBLE BLOCK AND BLEED TOOLS
• FLANGE TESTERS
THERE ARE AN INCREDIBLY WIDE RANGE OF USES FOR OUR ANNULAR SEALS AND ANNULAR SEALING TOOL PRODUCTS, CHECK THEM OUT TODAY!
• GROUT PACKER AND TEST TOOLS
• ANNULAR SEALS
• DOUBLE CONTAINMENT PIPE TEST AND ISOLATION TOOLS
• PIPE-WALL PENETRATION LEAK STOPS
• STANDARD AND SPLIT DESIGNS FOR HARD TO INSTALL OR EXISTING PIPE PENETRATIONS
Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. is world-renowned for our underwater construction solutions, ranging from standard plugging and underwater isolation tools through large, complex, custom designs, specially tailored for diver and ROV installations. Our experience through the years has allowed us to become the experts in the details surrounding remote installations in subsea and underwater environments. We have perfected functionality, operability, and life for these extreme and demanding environments.
You will find many of our products across the globe in industries such as waterworks construction, hydro-power, marine repairs, Oil & Gas subsea, nuclear fuel storage pools, and many more underwater projects. These tools are optimized for sensitive diver & ROV handling and operability requirements.
MRD OFFERS CONVENTIONAL SOLUTIONS FOR COMMON (AND UNCOMMON) UNDERWATER ISOLATION AND PRESSURE TEST PROBLEMS.
• UNDERWATER INSTALLATION PIPE PLUGS
• NEUTRALLY BUOYANT CHANNEL AND TUNNEL BULKHEADS AND ISOLATION BARRIERS
• SUMP PIT ISOLATION TOOLS
• SUBSEA PIPELINE ABANDONMENT AND DE-COMMISSIONING TOOLS
• SUBSEA AND ROV CONNECTORS & CLAMPS
HAVING A HARD TIME DEVELOPING A SOLUTION FOR A COMPLEX, REMOTE, UNDERWATER INSTALLATION? GIVE US A CALL, CHANCES ARE WE HAVE SEEN AND SOLVED IT BEFORE!
• REMOTE INSTALLATION DIVER AND ROV PLUG, BARRIER, AND BULKHEAD PRODUCTS
• BARGE-LAUNCHED ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS
• THE EXPERTS AT CUSTOM, ONE-OF-A-KIND ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS
• FULL AND PARTIAL SCALE VALIDATION MOCK-UPS IN OUR LAB
Mechanical Research & Design, Inc. produces a large variety of industrial work assist products and adaptors, many utilizing our wide selection of SEALFAST® elastomers. From manual to automated product lifting, pulling, placement, leak testing, packaging, filling, and support, our innovative designs can be found at nearly every stage of the manufacturing process. Our products can be found in fields including:
• BIOMEDICAL AND PHARMACEUTICAL
• GENERAL MANUFACTURING
• GENERAL ASSEMBLY
CALL US TODAY TO CUSTOMIZE A FILLING TOOL MATCHED PERFECTLY TO YOUR APPLICATION.
• MANUAL TO FULLY AUTOMATED FILLING TOOLS
• ROBOTIC ATTACHMENTS & END EFFECTORS FOR FLUID OR POWDER DISPERSAL
• SEALING PRESSURE ADJUSTABLE FOR FRAGILE APPLICATIONS
• CAN BE FABRICATED TO NEARLY ANY SHAPE OR SIZE
• ROBOTIC TOOLS
WE DESIGN SEAL HOUSINGS FOR NEW PROCESS MACHINES OR REFURBISHED MANUFACTURING LINES.
• ROBOTIC END EFFECTORS FOR PART HANDLING LIFTING, LOCATING, AND PLACING
• ADAPTABLE FOR ANY INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION LINE
• CUSTOM SHAPES AND CONTROL INTERFACES FOR
DELICATE TO SLIPPERY SURFACES
• ROBOTIC TOOLS
OUR PRODUCTS CAN BE DESIGNED TO LIFT AND PLACE
PRODUCTS IN NEARLY EVERY MANUFACTURING PROCESS
• FROM FRAGILE LOW LOADS UP TO TENS OF THOUSANDS OF POUNDS LIFT TOOLS
• NON-MARRING, ADJUSTABLE TENSION INFLATABLE LIFTERS
• PIPE AND TUBE PULLERS
• ALSO AVAILABLE FOR CERAMIC, GLASS, COMPOSITE LIFTS
• CUSTOM HUMAN FACTORS PRODUCT SUPPORT TOOLS
• OPTIONAL CONTROLS PENDANTS OR CONTROL PANELS
• MULTI-SIZE LIFT HEADS AVAILABLE ON ONE TOOL
• HAZARDOUS AND RADIOACTIVE COMPONENT LIFT TOOLS AVAILABLE
OUR MOST CUSTOMIZABLE PRODUCT LINE USING
OUR RELIABLE SEALFAST® ELASTOMERS AND
CREATIVE DESIGNS TO HELP YOU CATCH PROBLEMS
EARLY ON IN THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS.
• CUSTOM WELDMENT LEAK TEST FIXTURES
• MANUAL, SEMI-AUTOMATED, OR FULLY AUTOMATED LEAK TEST SOLUTIONS
• EXISTING LINE ROBOTIC END EFFECTOR LEAK TESTERS
• DESIGN SOLUTIONS FOR HUNDREDS TO HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF TEST CYCLES
Hand-in-hand with our standard ROV and underwater construction tooling solutions, we have developed many different product line solutions to supplement robotic tasks used in exploration, remote repair, and industrial automation, to name a few. We work with our clients technicians and engineers to develop nearly any size, shape, or function robotic end effector utilizing design validated mechanical components or our vast, in-stock SEALFAST® Elastomers lines, particularly inflatable seals, with a moments notice. MRD has also designed, fabricated, and tested pipe line crawlers for remote inspection, repair, and maintenance projects for turnkey solutions.
TURNKEY ROBOTIC SOLUTIONS FOR REMOTE INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE, AND SAMPLING FOR GENERAL HAZARDOUS LOCATIONS, RADIOACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS, REMOTE LOCATIONS, AND FOR SUBSEA.
• REMOTE INSTALLATION TOOLS
• HYDRAULIC, PNEUMATIC, AND ELECTRONIC CRAWLERS
• ROBOTIC TOOL ATTACHMENTS AND END EFFECTORS
• ROV TOOLS
• HAZARDOUS AND RADIOACTIVE ENVIRONMENT TOOLS
• ROBOTIC TOOLS
MARINE OFFSHORE DESIGNED AND TESTED PRODUCTS
FOR ISOLATION, TESTING, AND MORE!
• BELOW WATERLINE AND OVERBOARD LINE TEST PLUGS
• ROV AND DIVER INSTALLED ISOLATION PLUGS AND BARRIERS
• OFFSHORE LEAK REPAIR EMERGENCY SOLUTIONS
• TURBINE SHAFT SEALS
REDUCE COSTS OF COSTLY DRY DOCK VALVES AND
COMPONENTS WITH OUR STREAMLINED MAINTENANCE
AND REPAIR ISOLATION PRODUCTS.
• DRY DOCK REPAIR ISOLATION BULKHEADS AND BARRIERS
• INLET PLUGS AND BULKHEADS
• DIVER-INSTALLED ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS
• ROV INSTALLED ISOLATION AND TEST TOOLS
MRD works hand-in-hand with several defense service contractors and manufacturers for a variety of different types of tooling in the areas of land, sea, and air defense. Our products are used to leak test, lift & handle, assemble, and de-commission some of the most important and volatile components in existence. From munitions manufacturing, aerospace canopy seals, titanium weldment leak testing, to weapons test containment barriers, our products are proven the most reliable on the market, time and again.
Tunneling and mining contractors use our products in many below ground applications, including water stop barriers for tunneling processes, seal housings mounted directly to tunneling machines, process pipeline control plugs and bulkheads for fluids containment, as well as work aids, such as lifting and storage tools. We have been around the underground construction and mining industry for decades and have many custom-tailored solutions we have developed with and for out clients. Send an inquiry today and one of our engineers will work with you to provide the design-engineered product your project needs.
MRD PROVIDES SEAL HOUSINGS, BARRIERS, AND GENERAL ISOLATION PRODUCTS TO SUPPLEMENT TUNNELING AND MINING EQUIPMENT.
• MICRO-TUNNEL BORING WATER BARRIER BULKHEADS AND PLUGS
• TUNNELING MACHINE SEAL HOUSINGS
• GENERAL TUNNEL ISOLATION BARRIERS
MRD also designs and fabricates full OEM pressure test machines and smaller production test tools for small and large volume pipe and fitting manufacturers. We use the same high-end seals and solutions common on our other standard isolation and test tools, packaged for high cycle and easy to load/install testing applications. Whether you are performing standard pressure validation testing, weld leak testing, or destructive pipe burst testing, we have the perfect tool for you.
MODULAR ASSEMBLY PRESSURE TEST STATIONS FOR VARIABLE LENGTH AND MULTI-DIAMETER PIPES AND FITTINGS
• ADJUSTABLE LENGTH PIPE TEST MACHINES WITH INTERCHANGEABLE SIZE TEST PLUGS (FOR FULL PIPE DIAMETER RANGE TESTING)
• FITTING COMPONENT TEST MACHINES FOR ELBOWS, TEES, ETC.
• STANDARD, LOW COST OPTIONS TO FULLY AUTOMATED AND POWERED UNITS
PIPE END ISOLATION TOOLS, FULL PIPE JOINT TESTERS, AND MORE!
• SPECIALIZED PLUGS FOR TESTING MULTIPLE PIPE TYPES, SIZES, AND MATERIALS
• CUSTOMIZED JOINT TESTERS FOR FULL PIPE PRESSURE TESTING OR ISOLATED WELD TESTING
• PIPE BURST TEST UNITS IN MANY VARIETIES
• MODULAR TEST SYSTEMS